Based on information provided by Hannele Virtanen
What are the characteristics of a good Search and Rescue dog?
- NOT BEING AFRAID OF ANYTHING
- HAVE GOOD NERVES
- HAVE A LOT OF TEMPERAMENT
- FRIENDLY WITH PEOPLE
- HAVE A GOOD SENSE OF SMELL
- NEVER GIVE UP
- NOT AGGRESSIVE TOWARDS OTHER DOGS OR CAN CONTROL THE AGGRESSION
- CAN WORK INDEPENDENTLY
- LIKE TO GO THROUGH DARK TUNNELS AND HOLES
- CAN CLIMB AND JUMP
The Kerry fits most of these requirements. The biggest problem might be that they get bored too easy. Many Kerries have been successful in Search and Rescue.
The Search and Rescue newslist is run by Liz Marr (email@example.com) and is called SAR-DOGS.
To subscribe to SAR-DOGS, send the following message: To: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: (blank) Message: Subscribe SAR-DOGS your real name
More information on SAR:
Contact the National Association for Search And Rescue dogs.